Welcome to MCPP's Rankings tool where you can choose up to four categories by which to compare districts or schools. The data came from annual reports from the State Superintendent of Education. (These reports can be found on the website of the State Department of Education; see link at bottom of this page.) MCPP performed some calculations to provide totals or averages that were not presented as such in the Superintendent's Reports.
To create your own Rankings table:
1) Choose the appropriate tab for the information you seek - State, District, or School
2) Choose up to four Categories such as Expenditures per Student or Avg Teacher Salaries. To select more than one category, hold the "Ctrl" button on your keyboard as you click on the categories of your choice. To see the rankings among the state's districts or schools in the categories you choose, select the "rank" item which is listed immediately under each category. For example, select Avg Teacher Salaries and Teacher Salaries Rank (which is listed right after Avg Teacher Salaries) in order to see the average salary for a particular district and how that ranks among the state's 152 districts. (Rank is not available for the Schools categories, but you can "do it yourself" by following the guidelines below for using the table in your own document.)
3) Choose a year. Most categories in the District list go back to school year 1992-93, which is identified as 1993 in the "From" and "To" list. Most items in the School list go back only to 2002-03, which is identified as 2003.
4) Choose one or more (or all) Districts or Schools. You can compare only a few districts or schools, or you can click "Select All" to compare all districts or schools. These lists are arranged by County, in alphabetical order of the county. Then, within each county, the districts are arranged alphabetically; within each district, the schools are arranged alphabetically.
5) Click SUBMIT to create your table.
For categories that are presented in dollar amounts, you may choose the "Yes" button for "Adjust for Inflation," which will adjust the dollar amounts to the latest annual inflation adjustment in the consumer price index.
Click on any heading to sort the table by that item; click it again to reverse the order. Click on the District or School heading to sort alphabetically; click on any other column heading to sort by that category.
To change your category(ies) or year selections: After creating your table, you only have to edit the selections you wish to change. For example, if you are comparing specific districts or schools, you don't have to re-select them if you only want to change the categories or the year by which you are comparing them. To change a category but leave the others you've chosen, hold the "Ctrl" key while you click on the category you wish to "de-select", and continue to hold the "Ctrl" key and click on the new one you would like to see. Then click SUBMIT.
To change your district or school selections: If you wish to "de-select" one of the districts or schools you have chosen and leave the rest of them in your rankings table, hold the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and click on the district or school you no longer wish to display. If you wish to add another district or school, hold the "Ctrl" key as you click on your new choice. In either case, click SUBMIT after you've made your choices.
To use the table in your own document: After you create your table, you can "copy and paste" the table into a word processing document or spreadsheet. Here's how: highlight the table by placing your mouse above the table, holding down your mouse button, and sliding the mouse down and across until the whole table is highlighted. Then let go of the mouse button, click on "Edit" at the top of your browser, then select "Copy". You can then go to your own document and click "Edit" then "Paste."
To e-mail the table to someone: After you create your table, scroll to the very bottom of the page, choose "E-mail this page" and enter the requested information. The recipient of your e-mail will receive a link they can click on to see the table you created.
To print your table: Scroll to the very bottom of the page, choose "Print this page", or simply click the "Print" button on your browser. This will NOT open a new window, but it will send to your printer a "printer-friendly" copy of the page you created.
Source of data: Education data found on this site came primarily from the annual Superintendent's Report published by the State Department of Education. You can find these reports at http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/public.htm. MCPP performed some calculations to provide totals or averages that were not presented as such in the Superintendent's Reports.